Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Laundry Day musings...


Who am I kidding, with four kids EVERY DAY is laundry day.

I love folding laundry. It is a strangely intimate way of touching base with my kids without them realizing it too.

Six folded piles, the first and second are mine and Papa Pan's - utilitarian, socks and underwear, workaday tshirts and jeans, Papa Pan's trademark vests, my thrifted skirts and long sleeved tshirts.

The next four piles are full of personality, the first is black, grey, and orange, tshirts full of pithy commentary, sleek grey vests and oversized hoodies for a gangly teen still getting used to being over six feet tall.

The next is a rainbow of colours and patterns. It has moved from being purple and pink into this trademark rainbow pile over the last year as my sweet Nature Girl matures in her tastes and preferences.

The next is almost entirely in stripes and tie dye, Wild Thing is all about the pirates, and pirates love them some stripe-y shirts.

The last pile is all nostalgia - handknits that Aunt Zoom did 15 years ago for Dark Mirror, a favorite sunburst t-shirt worn by Nature Girl as a baby, an orange stripe-y onesie that I dressed Wild Thing in until he was busting out of it. A friend commented that I have the ultimate hippie baby, there's a devil may care attitude in this boy's mismatched gender misidentifying wardrobe. Rainbow crochetted shoes, purple yellow and pink knit pants, and purple tiedyed onesie. I realize that the Sprout is seldom dressed well, no matching outfits for this boy. I dress him in family memories, and I'm glad I can.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post!

Anonymous said...

You have just single-handedly made folding laundry seem magical to me! Let me thank you as I go up to my own laundry room with a new attitude...

Anonymous said...

You should do a photo of the laundry pile some time and frame it and hang it up as kind of a family portrait. – because it is. the way you describe it.